8 ONLINE QUOTES by Chess Player Tigran Petrosian
8 ONLINE QUOTES by Chess Player Tigran Petrosian.
Tigran Petrosian was a Soviet Armenian Grandmaster Chess Player. He was nicknamed “Iron Tigran” due to his defensive playing style, leading him to become the World Chess Champion from 1963 to 1969.
1. “If it is true that a player’s style is his person, then everyone plays as he is intended to by nature. I am naturally cautious, and I altogether dislike situations which involve risk.”
2. “In almost any position the boundless possibilities of chess enable a new or at least a little-studied continuation to be found.”
3. Chess is a game by its form, an art by its content and a science by the difficulty of gaining mastery in it. Chess can convey as much happiness as a good book or work of music can.
4. “Even the most distinguished players have in their careers experienced severe disappointments due to ignorance of the best lines or suspension of their own common sense.”
5. “In some places words have been replaced by symbols which, like amulets from a witch’s bag, have the power to consume the living spirit of chess.”
6. “They say my chess games should be more interesting. I could be more interesting – and also lose.”
7. “In general I consider that in chess everything rests on tactics. If one thinks of strategy as a block of marble, then tactics are the chisel with which a master operates, in creating works of chess art.”
8. “Some consider that when I play I am excessively cautious, but it seems to me that the question may be a different one. I try to avoid chance. Those who rely on chance should play cards or roulette. Chess is something quite different.”
Check out my article 7 GREAT QUOTES FOR LIFE.